Your privacy is important to us. The information below sets out how we collect, use and protect any personal data that you give to us. It also sets out details about your rights in relation to the personal data that we hold about you and how to contact us if you have any questions or would like to change the way in which we communicate with you.
We may change this Privacy Notice from time to time in order to remain compliant with changes to regulation. Should this be the case and we need to make any significant changes in the way we treat your personal information, we will make this clear on the Jane Goodall Institute Global website or by contacting you directly.
Who we are
We are the Jane Goodall Institute Global (JGIG), a UK registered charity (1153284). Our registered office is at BWB Secretarial Limited, 10 Queen Street Place, London, EC4R 1BE. Roots & Shoots as a focal programme of JGIG for which there is a separate website and social media.
The Jane Goodall Institute Global will never sell your data and will not share your data with a third party without your express consent. If you don’t want to hear from us now or in the future or if you want to change the way we communicate with you at any stage you can do so in writing to the Jane Goodall Institute Global at our registered office or by emailing email@example.com
If you have any questions or concerns about how we handle your personal data you can contact the Jane Goodall Institute Global in writing or by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org
The ways we collect personal data
We collect personal data about you when you share personal data with us directly, which may be by filling in forms on our websites, corresponding with us or communicating with us by phone or email.
Personal data that we process could include details such as: your name, postal address, phone number and email address.
We collect this for a variety of reasons, such as responding to your enquiry, providing a service or processing your donation.
When you use our websites
Our websites include www.janegoodall.global and www.rootsandshoots.global
Our websites do not currently contain standard forms for you to contact us, only contact details for you to get in touch via post or email. We will update this policy when / if this changes.
With your permission, we may pass your details on to your local JGI Chapter so they can update you on the work of the Jane Goodall Institute in your region. We will never pass on your details without permission.
When you support us via a third party
In some cases, your information may be shared with us by another organisation, for example fundraising sites like Just Giving. These independent third parties will only do so when you have indicated that you wish to support the Jane Goodall Institute Global and have given your consent.
When you have given permission to another organisation to share your information.
You may have given permission for a company or other organisation to share your data with third parties. This could be when you buy a product, register for an online competition, complete a survey or sign up with a comparison site.
When you have given permission using social media.
Depending on your settings or the privacy policies for social media and messaging services like Facebook, WhatsApp or Twitter, you might give us permission to access information from those accounts or services.
How we use your personal information
We will collect, store and use the personal data you provide to us in order to carry out the activities relevant to the provision of our services to you. We will not store personal data from anyone under the age of 18.
We may use the personal information held about you in the following ways:
- To provide you with information, which you have requested, about ways to support the Jane Goodall Institute Global, our services and campaigns
- To provide you with the information, products and services that you request from us
- To be used as part of our efforts to prevent or detect fraud or abuses of our website
- To analyse and report on the number and nature of contacts with the organisation
- To carry out research on the demographics, interests and behaviour of our users and supporters to help us gain a better understanding of them and to enable us to improve our services. This research may be carried out internally by our employees or we may ask another company to do this work for us.
Legitimate business purposes
We must have a legal basis for processing your personal data. We consider that we have a legal basis where:
- You have given us consent to do so for the specific purposes which we have told you about.
- It is necessary for us to do so to enable us to provide you with the services that you have requested from us – for example, billing you or contacting you about the donations.
- Provide you with information that we think may be of interest to you if you have agreed to receive it, or the law otherwise permits or requires it.
Where we process your personal data on the basis of our legitimate interests, these are our (or our third party’s) interests in providing our services to you in an efficient and secure manner.
We’d like to ensure that you know about the progress we are making and to ask for donations or other support (such as adding your voice to a campaign or giving your time, for example). Occasionally, we may include information from partner organisations or organisations which support us in these communications – for example, those working with us to improve the welfare of chimpanzees.
If you prefer not to receive any marketing communications from us, you can change your preferences and unsubscribe at any time by either writing to the Jane Goodall Institute Global at our registered office or emailing email@example.com
If you choose not to receive this information we will be unable to keep you informed of events, news, including updates from the field about the programmes of the Jane Goodall Institute and new merchandise that may interest you.
Who will have access to your information
We make sure that there are appropriate controls in place to protect your personal details in accordance with current data protection legislation. We undertake regular reviews of those who have access to information that we hold to ensure that your information is only accessible by appropriately trained the Jane Goodall Institute Global staff, volunteers and contractors.
We may share your personal data with third-party service providers who assist us with administering the provision of our services to you including:
- with business partners, suppliers and sub-contractors;
- to HMRC in relation to Gift Aid when your consent has been obtained;
- with analytics and search engine providers that assist us in the improvement and optimisation of our website;
- with our regulator, the Charity Commission, and the Fundraising Regulator in order to comply with our regulatory obligations and to help resolve complaints or other issues;
How we look after your data
We will keep your personal data for no longer than necessary for the purposes we have set out above. We will retain your information for as long as needed in order to provide the relevant goods or services to you or perform any contract we have with you and for period afterwards in order to deal with any queries or maintain your communications preferences.
Any third parties that we engage will keep your data stored on their systems for as long as is necessary to provide the relevant services to you or us. If we end our relationship with any third-party providers, we will make sure that they securely delete or return your personal data to us.
You have a number of rights in relation to your personal data. There are circumstances in which your rights may not apply. You have the right to request that we:
- Provide you with a copy of the information we hold about you
- Update any of your personal information if it is inaccurate or out of date
- Delete the personal data we hold about you – if we are providing services to you and you ask us to delete personal data we hold about you then we may be unable to continue providing those services to you
- Restrict the way in which we process your personal data
- Stop processing your data if you have valid objections to such processing
- Transfer your personal data to a third party.
For more information on your rights and how to use them, or if you would like to make any of the requests set out above, please contact us using the details provided below. We will respond to all such requests within the time period required by law. Even if you consented to the processing of your personal data for marketing purposes you have the right to ask us to stop processing your personal data. You can exercise this right at any time by contacting us using the details provided in this section below.
If you have any questions or concerns about how we handle your personal data, you can contact the Jane Goodall Institute Global by either writing to:
the Jane Goodall Institute Global, BWB Secretarial Limited, 10 Queen Street Place, London, EC4R 1BE or sending an email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Inspiring hope through action
Jane Goodall Institute Global
BWB Secretarial Limited
10 Queen Street Place
London, EC4R 1BE
Company No: 08122637
Charity No: 1153284